When would I need a root canal treatment?
If you have an infection of the pulp inside the tooth, it’s likely you may need root canal treatment. But only your dentist can advise if this is necessary, so it is extremely important to see your dentist as soon as possible if you feel any of the following symptoms:
The tooth is sensitive to heat or cold.
It hurts when you bite down or push it.
There is swelling in the mouth near the tooth.
You have a broken tooth.
We will examine the tooth and area around it. Sometimes an X-ray is necessary, but Dr Basil will go through the procedure and all options available in detail when you visit this dental practice. If you feel any of these symptoms, please call us on 07 3391 4366 and schedule an appointment as soon as possible.

What is the difference between an implant and a bridge?
A bridge is used when you have a tooth or teeth missing. The bridge consists of an artificial tooth (called a pontic) that is attached to crowns, which are placed on the teeth immediately adjacent to the space. 

A dental implant on the other hand is a stand-alone prosthesis. The implant has several components; the implant itself, which is analogous to the root of a tooth and is surgically placed into the jaw; a crown, which mimics the visible part of the tooth; and an abutment, which connects these components together. 

Both bridges and implants are used to replace missing teeth. The decision as to which is most appropriate will be determined by your individual circumstances. Dr Basil offers both services at his dental practice and can provide you with information as you make your decision.

What should I do if one of my teeth gets knocked out?
Please call us on 07 3391 4366 as soon as possible and schedule an appointment. Sometimes a permanent tooth that has been knocked out can be reimplanted. If you have the tooth, bring it with you to your appointment. Don’t clean it and only hold it by the crown, or place it in a container of milk. The best option is to reimplant it as soon as possible. Wash it with milk failing that water can be used and place the tooth back in as soon as possible with the tooth facing the right direction. Keep Dr Basil’s mobile number handy so that you may call him if this happens on the weekend while the kids are playing sports. He will be happy to help any of his patients from the practice.

Why should I visit my dentist every 6-12 months?
Regular visits allow your dentist to look after your teeth and means they have a better chance to find the early signs of disease or any other dental problems. You should see a dentist regularly and the time period varies for every patient. It may be anywhere from every three monthly to 18 months. Dr Basil and his team will be able to advise you on how often to attend based on your individual needs.

How do I best look after my teeth?
Between your regular recall visits to Annerley Dental, you must clean your teeth properly with regular brushing and flossing. Brush your teeth and floss after meals morning and night. Drink plenty of water and eat teeth-friendly foods such as fruit and vegetables, cheese and nuts. Avoid sugary foods and acidic drinks, for example, all soft drinks, sports drinks and citrus juice as much as possible.

When should I start taking my children to the dentist?
Taking your children to see the dentist at a young age will help instil healthy dental habits in them and is the best way to prevent problems such as tooth decay. It will also help them get used to dental practices so they develop a positive attitude regarding visits to the dentist. Your child’s first visit to see Dr Basil should be around age one, after their teeth have started to come through. Most baby teeth have come through by two years of age so as parents you need to be diligent and visually inspect their teeth regularly.

When should my child be seen for braces?
It is important for children to see a dentist between 6-10 years old to effectively examine the changes to the facial structure that can have an impact on the teeth and mouth. Your dentist will advise if orthodontic treatment is needed. However, it is also important to note that you are never too old to start orthodontic treatment and that adults can have orthodontics at any age as long as they have a healthy mouth.

I have broken one of my teeth, what should I do?
If you have chipped, cracked or broken a tooth, we suggest you call us immediately. Unfortunately, there isn’t a way to treat it at home and while it may feel OK, there could be underlying damage. Dr Basil will examine the tooth and see the full extent of the damage. If you have the broken piece of tooth, bring it to your appointment as it may be possible to cement it back on, especially if it is a front tooth.

Call Now Button